Monday, November 15, 2010

Buying a Mattress

While on business in Toledo, it occurred to me that my back pain was gone. I usually wake up feeling sore and stiff, but in Toledo my back felt fine. The return to normalcy was pleasantly jarring.

When I returned home, the pain resumed. It had to be the bed. My bed was only seven years old, but I could feel the springs under the pillow-top foam. It was time to buy a replacement. I’ve heard a lot of good things about memory foam mattresses. They don’t have springs, so there are no pressure points. Memory foam is supposed to be great for people with back problems as well.

I’d never slept on a memory foam mattress, so I was concerned. Would I feel comfortable enough to sleep on it? What happens when I toss and turn in my sleep? Would my girlfriend Olivia like it?

I decided to become an informed consumer. I read everything I could on the internet and determined that it seem like a good choice. My dog would even like it, and it may help me toss and turn less. Nothing would prepare me for how it actually feels though, so I took Olivia to the mattress store with me.

We sprawled out on the Serta mattress, and it felt great. The foam contorted to our bodies perfectly, providing great back support. I wasn’t sure how to have sex on a memory foam mattress. Will the lack of springiness of the mattress make sex too much of a chore? Olivia and I proceeded to test it out, but we were interrupted by the salesperson. Apparently they have a policy against having sex in the store. So I decided to buy a standard spring mattress. I don’t like back pain, but I like celibacy even less.

No comments:

Post a Comment