Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Wedding Announcement

After four years of dating, I finally decided to make an honest woman out of Kathryn, so I proposed. Luckily for me, she said yes! We couldn’t be happier.

I’ve always like Kathryn’s mom Carol. That is, until I became engaged to her daughter. Now Carol thinks she can dictate every aspect of our lies. Kathryn and I aren’t particularly religious. Kathryn’s friend Barry is a minister in the Church of Universal Life, which allows anyone who signs up on the internet to be a minister. I thought he would be perfect to preside over the wedding. Carol insisted that we be married in a church. So guess where we’ll be married.

Carol also demanded that we publish an engagement announcement in the newspaper. Apparently it’s family tradition to do this, although none of the family got married in the internet era. Carol says it has to be the big, three-column announcement. This cost me $1,500. Still, I know that it’s important to Kathryn that I do what her mom wants, so I saved up for a month and drained my savings to get our engagement announcement in the newspaper. After submission, it takes two weeks before the announcement is published. (Of course I put the news on Facebook for free the day that we got engaged, but that doesn’t count as a wedding announcement.)

The newspaper published our announcement yesterday. Much as Carol wanted, today we are the talk of the town. Unfortunately, it’s not for the reason that Carol would hope. Our announcement of the future union of Harold Prince and Kathryn Middleton was trumped by another engagement announcement by some similarly named people. While Prince Harry will have a royal wedding, I’m beginning to think my wedding will be a royal pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment