Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Best Album Ever

Everyone has that one album that touched their lives in a way that only music can. For my mom, that album was Sgt. Peppers. The song “When I’m Sixty-Four” still brings a tear to her eyes. I secretly think she screens all of her boyfriends based on whether she thinks they’ll still love her when she’s in her mid-sixties. She’s in her mid-fifties now, so it isn’t quite the same as a 27 year old Paul McCartney asking the question, but don’t tell my mom that.

For the longest time, I didn’t have an album that struck me so personally. Sure, there are a few albums out there that I like, some that I love, but none of them really spoke to me.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the record store in the mall. They were going out of business and had huge tables of discounted CDs. I didn’t have a lot of money to spend, so this looked like a good way to find something new. I ended up buying two CDs, one I really wanted, and one that I bought as a lark for $.99. Wouldn’t you know it, the album I bought for $.99 is “the one.”

The album blows my mind every time that I listen to it. The rapping is so smooth and effortless. The lyrics really speak to me as a kid growing up in suburban isolation. The production and melody make me feel as though I’m at the greatest summer barbecue the world has ever seen. If I’m in a bad mood, all I have to do is put it on to make me smile.

I am of course talking about “Playing with Fire” by the incomparable Kevin Federline. The best album ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment