Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'll Take My Tea Brown

It’s a great time to be in the Tea Party movement. In less than a year and a half, we went from a few whispers on cable TV news to a full-fledged movement with thousands of people attending our rallies. We’ve become such a force that a politician, Democrat or Republican, can’t go on a TV news program without being asked about us. Heck, even the president mentions us!

When I tell causal acquaintances about my involvement with the Tea Party, I often get asked the question, “What is the Tea Party movement about?” Although some people in the movement have their own ideas about it, the core beliefs of the Tea Party movement are limited government and the supremacy of the free market.

Take the bank bailout. If the banks are unsustainable, they should fail and be replaced with entrepreneurs opening banks that are sustainable. That’s fundamental capitalism right there. Same with the auto industry. If Honda is making better cars than GM, let Japan make cars for us, and we'll continue to make Harleys and Levis for them. Look at the new health care bill and its mandate that everyone have health insurance. What business is it of the government if I have health insurance or not?

Recently, Arizona passed a law requiring cops to have people show proof of citizenship if they suspect them of being an illegal alien. Although I recognize that illegal immigration is a major problem that needs to be addressed, asking people for papers is a huge overreach of the role of government. It’s akin to what they did in Apartheid South Africa or Nazi Germany.

As a movement, the Tea Party needs to protest to repeal this law. Who’s with me? No one? I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment