Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Paul Wilson's Biggest Fan

Lots of people are fans of Angelina Jolie and Shia LaBeouf. It’s easy to be fans of someone when you can buy his or her poster at three different shops in the mall. I’ve always been a fan of kitsch, and that’s why I am quite possibly the world’s biggest fan of Paul Wilson.

Do you remember the dude Paul who sat next to Norm and Cliff on Cheers, who in later episodes took on a more prominent role? That’s Paul Wilson. He was also one of the Bobs from Office Space, was featured prominently in Malcolm in the Middle, and is the go-to guy when you need a character in a single episode of a show. Paul’s been on Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Star Trek Voyager, The X Files, Ally McBeal, and on and on. When you need a short, pudgy, bald guy with a meek voice, Paul’s your man.

In my house, I have the “Paul Room.” In it are his movie posters, screen captures of his TV work, a few stills from Cheers, and several autographed headshots. There’s even a Cheers lunchbox where you can make out his head in the background. I love taking new guests in my house to the Paul Room. Their most common reaction is, “Who is this guy?” and, “Why do you have all of this memorabilia for such a minor actor?” I live for those moments.

Paul Wilson is 64 years old. When he dies, I hope to acquire his heart preserved in a jar. It will look great next to the lock of Paul’s hair that I have, which is special since he’s bald.

If it weren’t for the camp factor of my Paul Wilson memorabilia collection, I fear people might think I’m obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment