Thursday, June 17, 2010

Karaoke Night of Horror

This was easily the most horrific night of my life. Let me set the scene.

It was last Saturday night. Karen and I were at Bruno’s Bar in NE Portland for karaoke night, which we usually do on Saturday nights when we’re not out of town. Despite doing karaoke most weekends, it still takes me a few drinks to work up the courage to sing. Karen does not have this problem, so she had already sang three songs as I was finishing my fourth screwdriver.

A guy who’d never sung karaoke at Bruno’s before stepped up to the microphone to sing Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing. That’s when my slightly inebriated smile turned into a blank stare. I saw this guy’s picture in a Yahoo News story just before coming to the bar. He had just killed his family in Tacoma and is a fugitive! I hurriedly told the bartender who called the police and told the karaoke DJ and bouncer.

The DJ said that they were temporarily suspending karaoke and started playing regular music. This caused a stir among the patrons. Someone from another table overheard Karen and me talk about it, and the rumor about the fugitive murderer in our presence spread quickly through the room. The killer himself even heard the rumor, which caused me to fear for my safety.

Luckily the cops arrived quickly. They looked at the guy’s ID, questioned him for five minutes, shook his hand, and left. How could the cops let this murderer walk? After the police left, the guy approached me and said, “Thanks a lot buddy. I bet everyone looks like a killer when you’re drunk. If I ever see you walking down the street, you should go the other way!”

I’m now afraid to leave the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment